Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Have we died?

a month and a half since a last post...wow, had no idea it has been that long.  Well, we certainly have not stopped working on it.  This spring has been very wet, so we have been focusing on the inside and working on siding as we can get to it.  So lets focus on the inside...

Since the last post, drywall went up.  We had issues here.  The hangers did not like the ICF.  They did not like how the screws went into the plastic.  They worked for a few hours and then walked off the job.  Unsure of their issue, I went out there that night and tried one.  And then another,  and another.  There was a difference between screwing into the wood and the plastic, but it was minimal.  I could hardly tell, so I decided to just start hanging until I found someone else to finish it.  I called up some friends and we hung the bedrooms and ceilings in a few days.  I was able to find a guy to hang the high walls and ceiling in the living room, luckily. 

Finishers came in and worked for about a week on it.  We went with a smooth finish.  I was evilly happy (is evilly a word?...) as they were complaining about moisture problems.  We had the furnace running at about 65 in March.  The house was too tight and the humidity was about 80%.  However, the triple pane windows never condensed even with it being below freezing outside!  This was a pain for them, but a victory for me.  I told them just to set up fans....

I do not  have many pictures of the drywall, because, well, its boring and I hate drywalling, so....

 Clerestory and living room ceiling getting drywalled

 I put up all green board in the bathrooms and behind sink locations

 These are 5/8" sheets, however they could have been 1/2" since they do not have any insulation load like the flat ceilings do.

 Took a second to peak out of the clerestory window for the view. 

 Master bedroom


I climbed up and installed the Solatube in the bathroom prior to the blown insulation being installed.  This thing puts out a ton of sunlight.  Everyone is impressed with it and loves the light.  However I constantly walk by the bathroom and think someone left the light and reach in there to turn off a switch...The bathroom is an interior room mind you, so you can see how much it lights up the space.  I wish I had a before and after picture. 

So let the painting begin!  I like a lot of things about construction, but my most hated list goes:  finishing drywall as the worse, hanging drywall, and painting is a 3rd worse for me.  Lucky for me, we get to prime and paint 9000 sqft of wall!  Some of it with 2 top coats.  Let the fun begin....
After doing some additional paint research, I decided to go with Valspar Signature paint instead of Sherwin Williams or something else.  We used it in our last house (not the signature line) but had good results, so decided to do it here.  I have to say, I was very impressed with the paint.  It went on really smooth and thick, and the lighter colors easily covered in 1 coat.  The dark colors covered as well, however there were minor roller marks so we did another coat of the dark colors.  Glad we did, it made the colors that much more vibrant.  I would recommend this paint to anyone that is for sure. A lot cheaper than Sherwin Williams as well. ( We actually used all SW paint decks and color cards to choose the colors, took them to Lowes, and they matched the RBG...shhhh).

Picture time:

 Working on the great room.  Went with SW Iron Ore for the back wall color. 

 Dining Room- SW Naval blue

 Master Bedroom- SW....can't remember...

 Looking into the master bathroom

 Master bathroom

 laundry room


I am inspecting the working being done...

 Dining and entry getting painted

 North wall/kitchen

 Main bathroom- went with a 2 tone paint.  I continued the blue onto the ceiling as well.

 
Despite all of the work, there is always time to bust a move.
 
Lets jump ahead some more!  Electricians started installing fixtures:
 
 
 Looking at the clerestory painted in the same paint as the master bathroom.  I sealed the beam, and I really like how it turned out.

 The door getting painted.  Went with the Iron Ore on this wall and the green again from the bathroom.  (the blue is painters tape...)


The ceiling, the lights, the FAN.  People spend a lot of money on chandeliers or fancy lights...we went with a fancy fan.  Interestingly enough, everyone comments on the fan.  Its a 72" Tier 3 Energy Star fan.  This thing puts out some serious air movement and is super quiet.  Its a cool fan.
The ceiling is also painted the same color as the wall....

 
 
I cut a hole for the first speaker in the kitchen ceiling.  You can see the boxes I installed and how the foam sealed everything very nicely. 
 
 

Started tiling in the main bathroom.  I put down the Kerdi membrane on the subfloor.  Went down much faster than concrete board, that is for sure.

 Installed the tile.  These are Daltile Fabrique in 12x24 size, color is Blanc Linen.  Love this tile. 


 Installed the floating vanity and toilet. 

 
nearly completed restroom- still needs base board trim and the trim that goes on the paint line...then 1 room done!
 



 
Doors showed up.  Went with a 5 panel shaker style solid core molded door.  these are heavier than they look.  Love the way these doors look. 



 
































4 comments:

  1. We used tile that looks exactly like that in our bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Searched 72" fan and came up with the Harbor Breeze helicoptor fan from Lowes. Is that what you have? I have been struggling with the fan decision, but i i like how it looks in your house. Thanks for posting.

    P.s. is the vanity ikea? Or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, it is that fan from Lowes. The floating vanity is from Ikea. We find mixing some of their products with other things is good on the wallet, but also looks different. We also like the functionality. I feel its better quality than most off the shell stuff you get at big box stores anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this fan. Thanks for the inpiration. Looks like i need to buy an extension pole. I see you hung it on a sloped ceiling. Was that difficult? We also have a sloped ceiling.

    ReplyDelete